Friday, October 12, 2007

LDAP Browser in Eclipse

Actually I was installing LDAP browser plugin in my Rational Software Architect 7. I defined a remote update site using the URL http://directory.apache.org/studio/update/1.x and installed the LDAP Browser on my RSA.

That site was somehow a little bit weird. I tried the connection for several times before I was able to see the LDAP browser selection.

I used the "Connections" view to set up a new connection to LDAP server. After connected, I switched to the LDAP Browser view and saw three roots, DIT, Searches and Bookmarks.

The LDAP server which I connected was quite a big one. I easily got lost in the DIT tree. So I had to use the search. I learned something new here which was called the LDAP query.

For example, I needed to search any records that has a uid of ABC. What I needed to put in the "Filter" was (&(uid=ABC)). In my application, it had a query like (&(cn=my_group)(member=uid={0}, *)). It was very interesting, at least to me, since LDAP query was a new thing to me.

The searching speed was actually quite cool. Boom, the result was out. Since I would need to view that record from time to time. I saved it as a bookmark.

So far, the experience was good.

No comments: